Monday, February 14, 2011

love, as described by a teenage boy

I just finished reading David Nicholls’ novel called A Question of Attraction and found this passage particularly relevant on this Valentine's Day.  The narrator is an 18 year old boy home from university for the Christmas holiday and talking about his visit with his best friends from childhood...

"On the way to the bar, I think for a moment about heading for the door and walking out.  I love Spence and Tone, Spencer especially, and I think it's mutual, though g-d knows we'd never actually use the L-word, not sober anyway.  But for my 18th birthday Spencer and Tone tied me naked to the end of southland pier and force-fed me laxatives, so it's a love that expresses itself in unconventional ways."

Happy Valentine's Day to all - I hope everyone gets to experience a love that expresses itself in unconventional ways (sans laxative). 

No comments: