Thursday, July 23, 2009

braving the sea

Last night I went sailing for the first time. And the last time. In my most dramatic fashion, I was basically paralyzed by the movement of the boat. Not paralyzed out of fear of drowning, but rather my very real fear that I would toss my cookies in front of my co-workers. To cope, I sat completely motionless, muttering prayers under my breath that I would make it to shore without embarrassing myself too much. My lovely friends would take turns coming over to me (those with normal constitutions for water travel) and attempt to distract me from noticing as my face turned greener and greener. I fixed my gaze on the horizon and made as few movements as possible. Almost 24 hours later and I am still slightly dizzy. And the punchline is that this all happened in the Hudson River.

It made me reflect on a few things. First, my friend Shannon, who Seth and I were lucky to meet in Greece, is a complete rock star to have been in the Navy for so long. I can't even make a trip to the Statute of Liberty on a boat and I just got an email from her about the many countries she has visited on her ship in what seems like to me, a short amount of time. I definitely live vicariously through her adventures. And second, thank G-D Seth and I did not take a sailboat ride in Santorini when we were there. I could never enjoy that beautiful scene posted above because I would have turned into something more like the picture below.


No comments: